Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Embossing on Metal

These were done using 36 gauge copper.  I trimmed a sheet of copper, ran it thru the Cuddlebug using the Thank You  folder.  Using rubber handled pliars I held it over the gas burner on my kitchen range.  I pop them in and out of the flame and try to quit at the right time, so as not to lose the color I am hoping for.  They all turned out great, but I kept it in some in the fire too long and they changed from the blue hues I was hoping for, to silver.  Wait until it has cooled, then trim with scissors and then on your cutting board you pound the edges with a hammer, so they will not be sharp.  

At this point, I flip it over, and use a stylist, both large & smaller round ends, and make dents in it.  Flip it back over now & then to be sure you are not doing more than you want.  I attached these with these to a rough texture handmade paper, with the little red liner tapes.   I feel the textures deserve a nice Kraft CS along with good quality corregated paper.  I love using this copper, and will hate it when it is all gone!

7 comments:

  1. This is stunning Pat... we are going to have to get together so you can show my how you did this!

    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it, Cindy! I will bring the copper.
    Hugs,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good thing you told us how this technique was achieved, Pat -- otherwise, most would be grabbing their alcohol inks and wonder WHY it's not turning out the same. Love the colors you ended up with. Have fun at your "lesson", Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh.. that is stunning Pat... great great job!!
    Hugs
    Vivi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!! Gorgeous colours. Thanks for dropping by my blog - I am glad you did cos now I found yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done! What a fun medium for your work with a gorgeous outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pat, thank you for leaving such kind comments on my work. I love this piece you have done - I might have a go at this too!

    Hugs, Emma (The Sparkly Fairy)

    ReplyDelete